Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cinematical Scores Again


The writer's at Cinematical are really on point. In their latest "Their Best Role" column, they looked at actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, and once again, they got it right. The actor has had some great one's over the years, from his Oscar winning role in "Capote", to "Boogie Nights" and "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead."

But I'm in agreement with the site, his best role is in Spike Lee's 2002 film, "25th Hour". It is one of my favorite films of all time, and I consider it easily one of the best of the last decade. Anyone who hasn't seen it should really do themselves a favor and change that.

Said Cinematical of Hoffman: "He is not the lead character, but his contribution is essential to the film's final formula. He's weakness and romance, there to juxtapose the hardness and confidence and cynicism of the other characters. His costume is perfect: shabby schoolteacher tie and cheap coat (which he leaves on, even in a nightclub), glasses and a Yankees hat. Yet these attributes are so well-played that Jacob doesn't seem weak or pathetic."

"He just seems human. I met Hoffman twice over the years, and I liked him immensely, but I have to say that I feel I got to know Jacob far better than I got to know the real man. That's great acting, and it's the pinnacle (so far) of a truly great career."

No comments:

Post a Comment