Saturday, January 22, 2011

Robert Downey Jr. To Play "Mr. Peabody"


Peabody fans unite!

I'll admit it, I thought that Hollywood had snatched up every single imaginable cartoon out there to turn into a film franchise, but clearly I was wrong, and I couldn't be happier about it.

According to EW, Robert Downey Jr. is set to voice the genius talking dog in a new DreamWorks 3D feature based on the classic cartoon "Mr. Peabody and Sherman."

On the original "Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends," Mr. Peabody and his pet boy Sherman, used The WABAC Machine to travel through time and discover new things about historical figures. While the characters were popular for many years, most kids these days aren't familiar with the duo.

As a kid I loved the cartoon immensely, the only one I liked more was probably "Johnny Quest," and the fact that Downey will be voicing Peabody should make all the loyal fans happy.

While I haven’t seen "Yogi Bear," most of the cartoon adaptations have been awful (sorry, but I don’t have hope for "The Smurfs" either), but with the casting of Downey and the fact that Peabody and Sherman is just flat out awesome, I think we might finally get a great adaptation of a classic cartoon for the new generation.

Rob Minkoff ("The Haunted Mansion") will direct from a script by Jeffrey Ventimilia and Joshua Sternin. While the role of the naive young Sherman has yet to be cast, a 2014 release is being targeted.

No comments:

Post a Comment